Monday, February 19, 2007

vintage restoration

Most things I blog about have to do with my art, and months back when I had Blossom Sundries I wrote about what I was busy creating it's all about me, me, me! But this post will be all about the guy that has given me a deep love for preserving history, even when other people see no worth in it any longer.
After 15 years of marriage to this man my tastes have seasoned and I know a good vintage find within 50 yards away, which has cost him many a backache but he's a good sport!
My husband has been tearing down barns to recover the vintage beams and timbers for 10 years or so now and has supported our family of five by recycling this material and making furniture, it's backbreaking work and he loves every second of it (except for the time he fell through the floor).
When Brian had decided to take a sabbatical from woodworking the last two years and pursue something a bit different I understood, sometimes we all need a little break. But when we have found our calling in life and by that I mean our God given gift we always seem to return to that one true love. So now that he's been back in the shop for about 4 months or so there was only one thing missing, a barn to tear down.
Well, two days ago we happened to notice a bunch of teenagers working on demolishing an old house (built around 1900), with sledgehammers! Brian got in touch with the owner, and we asked for the house. Of course he's always more than willing to build a piece of furniture in exchange for the house and clean up the site, but this guy just wanted it taken down and the lot cleaned up. So as we did a walk through this morning I had my camera close by to show you what we found!! It might look like junk to someone else but it was someones beautiful little home at one time and the treasures found will live on in the furniture he builds. Of course I've already called the beautiful carved wooden scalloped edging attatched to the roof, oh and the bricks from the two chimneys~ ok sometimes it's still about me.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com