I've started by cutting off the flap of a milk box we had on hand.
Measure and cut this about 2" larger than your photo. I cut mine here to a 5 x 7.
My photo measure about 2 1/2" x 3 1/2".
Next I grabbed my first piece of scrap fabric {just muslin}, you might want to iron yours first :)
I cut the sides and top tp be about 2 inches wider than the piece of cardboard and left the bottom piece ripped , because I like fringe.
Plug in your hot glue gun.
Yes Spot, I said your hot glue gun!
Now you're going to glue and wrap the sides of the fabric around the cardboard, both sides and the top.
See, like this. Now fold down the top piece and glue that, but don't burn yourself like I just did!!!!
Now flip the fabric covered cardboard over............
And now you need to cut another piece of cardboard at 5 1/2" x 4 1/2".
Cut another piece of scrap fabric to glue to this piece of cardboard, I'm into warm reds lately but use whatever is on hand.
Glue it to your cardboard with the hot glue gun.
And now flip that over and you'll want to hot glue the back of the cardboard {all around the edges and the middle}, because this will fit right on top of your other fabric covered cardboard piece. Whew, how many times can I type the word cardboard without it starting to look like a wierd word??
I was careful to make sure my red covered piece wasn't crooked before attatching the two together.
Now I used a piece of blue tick scrap fabric, that I ripped to glue along the bottom ridge of the frame. It's ok if some of it hangs off the frame.
Now I found another little piece of scrap fabric and cut it into a square, then picked at the sides until it got that fringy look I like. Glue to blue tick fabric.
Now find a button out of your stash, a rather large one is what I chose...you'll see why in a minute. Glue that on.
Now you will need to find a decorative piece of paper, you can use anyhting here, but I like my music sheets the best.
I cut the paper just a bit shorter than my red fabric covered cardboard, just so a little of the red is visible on the sides of the paper. But still wide enough to see behind the photo.
I glued this on.
Now I placed my photo on top, just to see how it all looks, so far so good!
If this is an original photo you are using you might not want to hot glue it on {but I did}. There are tons of other adhesives {scrapbook adhesives} to use.
Now see why you needed a larger button? You'll want to add a snipet of text here. Choose what ever goes with your photo. Just type your word in notepad on your computer, in small text and print. Cut to size and glue it onto your button.
Now flip the whole thing over, measure a piece of ribbon about 7-8 inches long and glue it onto the back.
Now measure another piece of fabric to cover up the back and glue that on.
You're not done until you sign it! Print out a little note to glue to the back........
Voila!! You've just made your first cardboard picture frame, Martha would be proud :)