Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Use #1 for Favorite Old Magazines or Birthday Cards

I hate throwing away eye candy,especially my magazines, where I look through almost daily, for inspiration. I also keep ALL birthday cards. After while it can all pile up, but take heart and make your piles of eye candy and small sentiments into tiny pieces of new found art!
The day I started making the magnets you see here I had been sitting in my studio {back porch} trying to decide what in the world to do with a huge box, of almost 8 pounds of small irregular shaped glass pieces that I found at the local swap shop {local dump} ,LOL! Anyhow, while looking through my magazines I happened to lay the piece of glass down on top of a picture I was looking at, when I realized how much I liked that look.
I soon began gluing all kinds of pictures to the back of the small glass pieces, just by using Mod Podge and a tiny paint brush. But it wasn't until Bri came home and pointed out that they would make good magnets did the ah-ha moment happen {it's not called Lobri Studio for nothin'}!
He also suggested copper tape around the glass so there wouldn't be any boo-boo's and he was right, we can't have anyone getting a nasty cut.
Here's how it's done.......
Items Needed:
You will need a stack of your favorite magazines, that you don't mind cuting up.
Exacto Knife or Sciccors
Mod Podge
Copper Tape
Small Pieces of Glass or Microscope Slides {or any small glass or plastic bauble}
Copper Tape
Magnets from the craft store

Start by finding a favorite photo in a magazine, for the two below I selected Fall themes like carmel apples and jackolanterns {easy to find in the October Issues}. Lay the glass slide on top of the picture to see how it will look before you cut it out.
Second, decide if you would like to add any special words to your picture like here I cut out the word Car'mel from an old dictionary and glued it to the photo, before gluing the glass slide on top. Or you could make a small collage by cutting the whole definition from the dictionary and using it as the background fro you pictures {like the jack-o-lantern}.
Third, go ahead and apply Mod Podge to one side of your slide or glass piece placed the slide or glass piece on top of the photo and cut around the glass with your Exacto knife.
Then I simply squeegeed out the excess glue by gently rubbing the back of the picture against the edge of the table. Wipe it off, let it dry and onto the next step. Oh this is addictive by the way :)
The last thing I did was apply the copper tape around the glass edge and voila, you have an cool looking Artsy Magnet!
Trash into Treasure, I love it!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com