There is still more to do but here is a look at what we have done so far.
On the "to do" list:
~ Uncover the wood floor under the linoleum tiles (crossing fingers it is salvageable).
~ Paint the window frames black.
~ Decorative crown moulding at the tops of the cabinets and a small trim on the bottoms.
~ Build a shelf for above the windows, something to put my ever growing collection of white pitchers on.
~ New doorknobs, most likely glass to match the others in the house.
~ Purchase a more permanent island. We put this one in as a "tester" to see how we felt about it. So far we really like it!
~ We would like a new sink and faucet.
Here is the kitchen before. The walls were very dark and it had an apple border (I didn't get a picture of that).
When we bought the house, the microwave had a handle that had been taped. They painted it from white to black and then wrapped electrical tape around the handle. Quite a sight! That was one of the first things to go. Now we have a matching microwave!
The kitchen was okay but I wasn't happy with the oak colored cabinets and laminate backsplash.This is one of a pair of sconces I received from a neighbor in one of our previous houses. I believe they are from the 1920's, the socket inside is a Bryant and looking at pictures online of the pull chain and socket type gives me a date of approx. 1915 to the 1920's. My dad rewired them both and I just love them. The other one is set aside for my daughter's room. The one socket is broken and I'm doing my best to track down a "new" old one.
The chandelier belonged to my parent's dining room. It was white porcelain with pink and blue flowers. A can of textured spray paint gave it a new life. Like I said, we are on a budget here!
Here is our temporary island. It was being used in the garage as a table for my husband's saws. I went in and stole it! He'll just have to find something else for his tools to rest on. I love that it has little shelves for me to put my scales on. I made a curtain for the front of it and re stained the top. A good cleanup and it was ready to go! I hide my recycling bin inside. You can also see the chalkboard on the door in the background. We did the same trim on the basement door, a couple coats of chalkboard paint and we have a place for the kids to doodle.
And then there is the backsplash. Like I said earlier, I wasn't crazy about the laminate sheet that was up there before. My very patient husband came home from work one day to find I had begun to rip it off the walls. It wasn't an easy job, they must have used a ton of adhesive! But off it came and we went over our options. We decided on a beadboard but couldn't decide whether to stain or paint it. In the end I decided to go with stain and figured it was always fixable later if I didn't like it! I'm not afraid to take a paintbrush to just about anything!
So that is the tour of our kitchen progress so far! I hope you enjoyed it! It's amazing to me how the little things can make a big impact. Just using a little trim around the spice cabinet, doors and the blank side of the cabinet next to the dishwasher really gave it a different look for a little bit of money.