
Hi everyone! I'm getting a bit of a late start today. The kids are home from school so the morning has been a little hectic! My Before and After for today is the shelf above our kitchen window. I love the double window we have in our kitchen, it gives the small room a lot of light. Ever since we moved in, I had a picture in my head of a nice shelf above the window. The mouldings in this room were replaced somewhere along the line. I can't help but wonder what happened to the old wood that was taken out? Hmmmmmm..... The mouldings that were put in are just straight and plain. They needed some dressing up! Here it is before:



We bought two brackets, an 8" x 8' piece of pine and some trim. I got everything all primed. Let me tell you, I don't know who had the idea for these swirly brackets but they were impossible to paint. Oh wait, that may have been my idea.
Then came the installation. As you can see, I had the very difficult job of holding the camera.
When the shelf was up in its primed state, I just couldn't help myself and had to throw a couple things up there to see how it looked. At this point I had trouble wiping the smile off my face, I was so happy with it.
A couple coats of semi gloss later and here it is!

I've decided the brackets were worth the work of painting them. I was able to forget about the spatterings of paint in my hair as I looked at my new shelf.
Here is a close up of the trim around the edge. The way it sits on the shelf created a bit of a lip so I don't have to worry about my precious pitchers falling off.
