Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Spray Painting and Carpal Tunnel

This summer has been so leisurely for us, I'm having trouble keeping up with what date it is! The days are relaxed but also going fast. This past weekend I decided to get some spray painting projects accomplished. I couldn't post until today because ouch, way too much spraying for one day. My hand and wrist hurt so bad I could hardly type or write. It's getting better but I think I've learned my lesson on doing too many projects in one day! No pain, no gain....isn't that what they say? Oh, not about spray painting you say? Okay, moving on....do you remember this candelabra from the thrift store?



I finally came up with a great place for it, the porch! My new favorite color is Rustoleum Heirloom White in satin finish. Perfecto!


I also wanted to redo this corner shelf in my dining room. It wasn't my style but it belonged to my Granny so I wanted to make it work in my house.....





Here it is after a fresh spray of Heirloom White and a little distressing of course!







This cheese dish came from a yard sale and the base is wood. I don't intend on using it for food so the bottom got a fresh coat of.....do I need to say it? You are noticing the color pattern here I'm sure....


And then there were these two little stools. No before pic because I forgot but the top one was red and the larger stool on the bottom was green. See how I mixed it up a bit on you there, the bottom stool is done in a light blue. I didn't stray for long because....



...we are back to the same white. The frame was another yard sale find and natural wood. I love what a little white paint can do!



After that was all done (and before the hand agony set in) I got around to working on that dishwasher project I've talked about. It bothered me that our dishwasher is glaring at you when you walk into the kitchen. I like stainless appliances but just not this particular one. Here's what it looked like....


And this is after adding paintable wallpaper. I really wanted to add those faux tin tile backsplash pieces to it (you can find them in the kitchen section of Home Depot) but our dishwasher was rounded on the sides and I didn't think it would look right. Plus I wanted to paint it the same as the cabinets. So this is my solution, a roll of 50 cent wallpaper from a yard sale.




This is how it looks now after a coat of paint. I still have one more coat to do and then I'll seal it with Valspar sealant made for painted surfaces.
Now I have a huge disclaimer on this and that is, don't rush and do this! Please! I don't want an angry mob at my door after you all wallpaper your dishwasher and the paper falls off leaving the front ruined. I'm not sure this is going to work! It is prepasted wallpaper but I used additional adhesive and lots of glue to put it on. I'm still unsure if it will stay because what do you use to remove old paper from walls? Yup....steam. And dishwashers put out lots of that. Give me a month or so and I'll report back on if this is working out or if I'm picking up pieces of wallpaper from the floor. If my gobs of glue trick doesn't hold, it'll be on to Plan B. No clue what Plan B is but hey, sometimes decorating is about being fearless right? I'm sure I'll figure something out.




Oh and did you notice the sink skirt? One thing I was bummed about with our new dresser island was that my favorite ticking stripe fabric would be gone. The room needed some more softness and I couldn't part with this fabric so I hemmed it up and put it below the sink.


I hope you are having a fabulous summer so far! I have a feeling I'll be blogging a lot more once the fall rolls around. Right now it is just too beautiful outside to be on the computer. Ahhhh, the lazy days of summer..... :-)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com