Sunday, September 6, 2009

Shop of the Week: Supermarket Sarah

Our featured shop for this week is Supermarket Sarah. Sarah's assistant Annette wrote me and introduced me to the store. It is a very new store as well and one that is worth the check. Let's go and visit Sarah's Supermarket and get to know more about her stuff:

What's the inspiration behind your shop's name?

Supermarket Sarah - It’s a supermarket with a personality. I guess it’s a fun spin on consumer culture. In today's world of homogenous brands this is a shop where items have no sell-by date and everything is a one of a kind. It’s my selection of weird and wonderful things and great young talent.

How old is your shop?

A couple of weeks! But it’s been in the back of my head brewing abstractly for a few years.

What inspired you to start your own home business?

I worked as a creative online and really wanted to touch and feel the real world again. I started doing Portobello market and loved meeting people and really interacting with the world again. I was also assisting top stylists and getting a feel for my own style. My boyfriend Henrik Delehag is an artist and also helped me find my voice. I realized the online world could work for me again but this time in a new format.

Sarah Bagner - proud owner of her Supermarket

What was the toughest challenge you faced so far?

Time management and self-congratulation. When you work for a company all these rules are laid out for you and they are so enticing. When you are self-employed suddenly life can get super busy whilst also frightening with such huge expanses of time.

How did you get over it?

Annette my assistant has been wonderful for me as I can now set us both a timetable and we can bounce ideas of each other, keep each other going and achieve targets.

Please Name: The things you do when you're not busy in your shop. . .

I like swimming, going to galleries, car booting -obviously! Spending time with my friends, family and my boyfriend. I want to travel more as I love it.

Stuff inside your bag you can't leave home without. . .
My book at the moment! I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude and it jumps off the page like a romantic song.

Your favorite shops:

Since I started my business I don't really go shopping anymore!

I don't really care where things are from either if I like it; I like it, whether its 1p from a supermarket junk box or £100 from a designer label. Of course, I appreciate quality and when I'm in Sweden I sometimes splash out in Fillip k. I’m also a sucker for a story. I

once bought an amazing African dress form a Ghanaian women in Spitafields Market. She had set up a Sewing school in Africa and showed me photos of the girls making the dresses. I loved the story more than the dress and its still one of my favorites.

Miss Vintage -Hanbury street
Beyond Retro london
Hammersmith Vintage Fair
Portobello Market (of course)
EBay
Trade -in Nottinghill Gate
Tatty Divine
Super Sol –Spanish Supermarket
Vintage stores in the North Lanes, Brighton

Your top 3 favorite picks from your shops:

My summer dress and espadrilles from a Spanish supermarket



A vintage tulip red dress from Portobello.

A filippa K stripey top.

What tips would you want to share for aspiring home-based entrepreneurs like you?

Normality quickly slips from beneath you so take care! You can never really switch off but then I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sarah fixing items in her store

Any message to your customers and the people who support you?

I've been so touched by people's response so far. Thank you! And please keep on browsing my supermarket! xs


~*~*~*~

Thanks Sarah and Annette for sharing us Supermarket Sarah. Best Wishes to your shop!
And now for my personal picks:

this and that thingies from Supermarket Sarah

80s Marks and Spencer dress

Oh, and you can also visit Sarah's blog. Stop by today and tell her what you think of her shop.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com