Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Rough Weekend






We lost a very special four legged family member on Friday, our sweet Yorkie Casey was called to the rainbow bridge. It's been difficult. Casey was my parent's dog but he was mine too. He lived to be almost 15, just about half my life. When I was in high school, I really wanted a dog. My mom and I drove out to a breeder that had a litter of both Yorkies and Maltese. I fell in love with tiny Casey and the breeder said she would hold him so that my mom could bring my dad back to meet him. I had to work that night and my parents took the drive back out.






When I came home from work there stood my mom in the kitchen holding my little baby puppy. I didn't think I could be more thrilled....until my dad walked into the room with a Maltese puppy. You see, my dad fell in love with another dog....but my mom had promised me the Yorkie. So they came home with two. We named them Josh and Casey and they were like brothers, they were buddies.






They ran around the house like crazy as puppies, playing and wrestling. Casey could fit behind the couch but Josh couldn't so there would be a lot of teasing as Casey stuck his head out just a bit from the couch and Josh would go nuts of course. They were fun and we loved them. Like any dog lover knows, they were part of the family.






Josh passed on a year and a half ago and now Casey has gone to join him. The kids are heartbroken. I know going to my parent's house for the first time will be difficult on them. Like my mom said, even at just 3 pounds, that pup had such a presence in the house. He will be terribly missed.






We've gone through periods of sadness this weekend, along with pangs of guilt as well. There are people suffering in Haiti and here we are crying over a dog. But I'm going to not let the guilt take over. He was special to us, to our family, he was our "Casey Doodle," our "Noodle" and our family.




Rainbow bridge picture source: http://ottawadogblog.ca/tag/remembering/
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com