LOL- Okay, I was trying to pick a clever title for this post, but I might have failed. Just a tad.
Today I'm going share with you my 5 year old's costume for this year. He'll be wearing it on suspenders, so it will float around his waist/hips, and I'm excited about coming up with just the right outfit for him to wear under it. I'm thinking "50's greaser" look, or something similar. Maybe even an over the top hip-hop look. We shall see!
Here is it... The Ford Mustang costume.
This idea came about as we were watching an auto show on tv one day. He pointed out a mustang and said he wanted to be that for Halloween. What's funny is that after the car was made, he wanted me to paint on "a circle with a sideways L".... ?? A Lexus symbol? LOL.
My son picked the color, and the style of the car. I was hoping for a vintage mustang look, as seen in the photo where I was gathering my supplies.
We obviously ended up going in a different direction.
I ended up using 2 large boxes, about a roll of masking tape, a little bit of foil, and several colors of acrylic craft paint.
I used this large box as the base of the car.
I then added on to form the shape of the car.
I honestly think Brodie would have been happy if I left it like this, as he was very happy to hop in it, and told me numerous times how much he loved me. haha.
My next step was to cover the entire structure with the masking tape. This provided a barrier so the cardboard would not bubble when painted. I actually used duct tape on my other son's Thomas costume last year, and while it worked, the smooth surface didn't hold the paint well. At the end of the night the paint was coming off in large chips. The finish of the masking tape is a little less smooth and should hold up better.
As you can see, we all worked on the base coat. LOL. This was a good day for mommy's control issues. haha. They weren't quite as strong as they normally are.
Even Daddy decided to get in on the action after he got home from work.
After the base coat dried, I went back and added shadowing and details.
I added half moons for the wheels and taped on.
See that swollen mommy foot? Ugh. So ready to have this baby.
Anyhoo, here is more of the finished car...
Thanks for looking!
-Courtney
Linking up to:
