Friday, December 17, 2010

Stocking Tutorial



I started out with this painter's drop cloth from Lowes.


I traced an old stocking onto a piece of paper, to get the right size for the stocking.  I adjusted the shape to fit the look I wanted.


I used the traced shape as a template.   I traced the shape onto the drop cloth 6 times (for 6 stockings- I made an extra), flipped it over onto the other side and traced another 6.   Flipping halfway through ensured that all trace marks would be on the inside when completed and not show.

Place the two sides, ink marks OUT, together, and sew- leaving the top of the stocking open.


At this point I hopped on Word and printed my names onto fabric transfer paper.  Make sure you print them in mirror image.


I traced the cut out names onto cardboard to make a template for the name tags.


I cut out the pieces of fabric to size, using the template as a guide.  I then ironed on my names.


After turning the main part of the stocking right side out, I placed it on another sheet of cardboard, to create a template for the cuff.


I traced the cuff template onto the drop cloth fabric, 6 times using one side, 6 times using the flip side.
I then pinned them together, once again ink side out, and sewed up the two outside edges.  You'll noticed I left the top and bottom unsewn, and I also used a pin to identify which side was the top.


Next I made the pleat.  I actually cut the drop cloth every 1.5 inches and then ripped to create the ragged edges.    Then just run through the sewing machine, folding as you go.


I pinned a hem onto the bottom of the cuff, placed the pleat onto the cuff, and sewed it on- continuing around to create one long hem seam all the way around the cuff.


I then attached the top of the pleat, sewing just the front.


Finally, I pinned on each name tag.


After sewing all the way around the tag, I pulled some of the threads to create a fringed look.


I placed the cuff over the main body of the stocking, pinning it into place.  After sewing all the way around the top of the stocking, I again fringed the top.  You could also fold the top of the cuff into the main body of the stocking, and then sewing, creating a more finished look.


I attached a ribbon to hang each stocking from.


I then attached a stocking charm to each one, which I bought at Walmart for only $1 each.  LOVE them.







Thank you for looking!

-Courtney


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com