More than a place. A feeling.
It's different for all of us. When my house is pretty, I feel at home. When it is undecorated and something is off.... my house tends to bug me. It's just the way I am. My husband, on the other hand, could live in a house decorated like a college dorm room, and be perfectly happy as long as his dorm room garage is organized.
Which is why our house has kind of bugged my husband since we've moved in. Why is that?
We've never FULLY unpacked since moving in. Okay, that's a lie. We unpacked stuff that we use. However, all the little pretties, that come into play when you're ready to do the final fluff of a house, have remained boxed up (or randomly thrown about) in the garage.
I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Gosh darn it, Girl... load that stuff up and take it to Goodwill." To that, I reply, "Oh... we have." We've made lots of Goodwill trips before and even after the move. This is actually stuff we want to keep.. Ha! Which is why we decided shelving to store it and get it OFF the floor would be a grand idea. Granted, we'll never be able to fit my 21st century SUV in this 20th century garage.. but one day, if we want to store a golf cart of some sort, we'll be able to now!! :)
Since we had the shelving bug, we also decided to do something about our closet under the staircase.
It looked a little something like this... Oh the horror.
In this closet was shoved lots of army stuff, tools, paint cans, craft paints, books, wrapping paper, and 4 golf club sets. Yes. You read that right. Four.
For some reason, this mess being on the INSIDE of our house bothered me MUCH more than the massive mess in our garage... that massive mess, never really bothered me much. Hmm. I wonder if that says something about me.
Moving on.
Here it is now..
We stowed the boys' t-ball stuff on the top shelf, followed by some wrapping supplies on the second, craft supplies on the third, and random things like bowling balls and golf shoes on the bottom.
After the shelf, the golf clubs are leaned neatly together, followed by the army trunks at the very end.
We can ACTUALLY walk to the very back of the closet if we wish. So nice. I actually have another project in mind for this closet, but I'll wait to share it because I may actually never get around to it.. ha!
Back to the subject at hand- after doing all of this "Shelf-ing" (we'll call it that rather than organizing), my husband said to me, "This place is finally starting to feel like home."
And that, my friends, made the $200 in shelving and weekend spent stowing stuff away, completely worth it.
What makes YOU feel at home?
:) Courtney