So thrilled to be named one of PinkEggshells Top 20 African American Interior Designers of 2011. Thank you to Kimberly and her staff! It warms my heart to be among the many esteemed designers on the list, whose work I have long admired and been inspired by.
Again THANK YOU Kimberly for thinking of me so highly, and the work I do! I am honored.
2011-05-10
The Top 20 African American Interior Designers 2011
![]() |
| Image Michel Boyd of Smith Boyd Interiors |
I understand that everytime I walk into an auditorium to deliver a speech to high school students or sit on a panel for a discussion about interior design, I represent the minority. Not just as an African American, but more specifically as one working as a professional in the design industry. When I am featured in magazines and other media outlets, the question that repeatedly arises is, who are the top AfricanAmerican designers? First, understand this. It is impossible to build a successful career defining yourself as only an African American designer. Yes, I am African American, but I obtain clients of all races. I am sure that the designers on the list will agree. Beauty and style know no color. To be fair, I worked with many different individuals to compile this list. I took suggestions from other designers, decorative center staff from around the country, local realtors and home builders. I submitted the list to my esteemed colleagues for scrutiny and this is the final tally. In no particular order, here are our Top 20 African American Designers.
Top 20 African American Designers 2011![]() |
| Image Michel Boyd of Smithboydinteriors |
Michel Boyd Smith Boyd Interiors SmithBoydInteriors.com Atlanta
Cecil Hayes Cecil Hayes CecilHayes.com Miami
Elaine Griffin Elaine Griffin ElaineGriffin.com New York
Ron Woodson Wodson and Rum WandRdesign.com Los Angeles
Sheila Bridges Sheila Bridegs SheilaBridges.com New York
Darryl Carter Darryl Carter DarrylCarter.com New York
Afiya H. Kumar AHA Designs AHAdesigns.com Chicago
Robin Wilson Robin Wilson Home RobinWilsonhome.com New York
Joan Goodwin Vernandah Interiors Vcustomdesigns.com Columbia, SC
Keitha Brathwaite Contrast Design Contrastdesigngroup.com Chicago
Kimberly Ward Kimberly +Cameron Kimberlyandcameron.com Houston
Joy Moyler Joy Moyler Interiors Joymoylerinteriors.com New York
Marian Akinloye MA Design Studio MAdesignstudio.com New York
Erin Shakoor Shakoor Interiors Shakoorinc.com Chicago
Venus Williams Vstarr Interiors Vstarrinteriors.com Miami
Lisa Turner Interior Obsessions Interiorobsessions.com Los Angeles
Courtney Sloane Courtney Sloane Courtneysloane.net New York
Nyla Simone Nyla Simone Home NylaSimoneHome.com Tempe, AZ
Janice Palmer Ydesign International YdesignLLC.com Atlanta
Kim Myles KimMyles KimMyles.com New York

