We knew there was wood to be had underneath, we took a peek behind the basement door about a month ago. See it under the green paint?
Two layers of vinyl, a layer of plywood and a ton of staples, all of it had to go. My hand is blistered from taking up staples, ouch!
But after all that work, we sanded a small spot and look what is there! Beautiful yellow pine! Just like getting to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop, we found the prize.....
The black is all old adhesive that luckily comes off with a bit of sanding.
Soon the kitchen floor will match the dining room and it will all be beautiful. I can't wait! It will definitely have more "character" than the other floors in the house but that's okay. I'm just thrilled we found it all intact after being covered for so long.
So since the floor is being done, I decided why not do the whole kitchen?! As of today the cabinet doors are all off, sanding done and priming started. I'll be changing the look of the kitchen with a lot of elbow grease and paint. While I do that, hubby will continue working on the bathroom.
We're determined to have all this done by Christmas. Hopefully in enough time to do all my regular holiday decorating. I'm not sure what I was thinking starting a project like this so close to the holidays but I'm excited....blisters and all. Still excited.
Please forgive me if I don't get around to visit you for a bit, doing two rooms at once is taking time away from blogging right now. I need to hurry up and finish so I don't come down with blogger withdrawal!
Did I mention I was having Thanksgiving here? Yikes!